Product of the Month - October 2023
West Indies Bay Leaf Oil
Connecting to our new producer led to a real inspiration, driving the introduction of this new product. Their belief in this oil is that it can change the landscape of their community.
Dominica as a country has suffered numerous natural disasters – frequent tropical storms and hurricanes – and the essential oil industry is imperative to diversifying and finding new markets. The Bay Tree is a sturdy, climate resistant evergreen of the myrtle family. Despite the damage of the most recent hurricane in 2018, the trees were ready to be harvested in 6 months. As a tree that organically exists on the island in abundance, it does not require herbicides/fertiliser or pesticides. The only water needed is the rainfall.
West Indies Bay Leaf oil possesses a sophisticated spicy scent. It is often described as warm and woodsy and is typically used as a top note by perfumers.
Hope for the future:
- The Co-operative was set up to support small farmers to produce the oil and help them to sell and market internationally.
- Women are heavily involved as the leaf collectors. The small holdings involved in the overall Co-operative are between 3-4 acres per family.
- Local people can remain in rural communities while making a sustainable income, reducing urban migration out of the area.
- The spent biomass is used as compost for growing local crops such as avocados.
- Minimal risk to the environment and conscious producers.
- As a consumer you can be confident in a sustainable product that has a positive effect on the local economy on a wider scale. They pay their growers well, allowing them to sustain their families and in turn supporting the overall success of Dominica.
Contact us for further information and documentation.
UK Tel: +44(0)1993 882883 NL Tel: +31(0)85 822 2417
Sample the stunning, natural West Indies Bay Leaf Essential Oil from Khush Ingredients.